Thursday, November 8, 2012

Dutch

Few weeks ago, there was this phase when I very badly wanted to speak dutch.  Having lived in Holland for more than two years, it's a shame if you cannot do simple conversations in local language. With a lot of enthu, I started learning dutch on the new application that Mahesh had found on iTunes called Earworm. We bought just the first volume and started playing those lessons almost all the time on my phone. The lesson was very interesting and refreshing with addictive music playing in the background. The first volume was all about basic conversations like, to order for something, ask directions, numbers, etc. After a week of repeated listening, I finally felt I was ready :)

Pramod and I went to the Douwe-Egberts cafe at the Amstelveen stadshart. There were two guys, one taking the order (cute guy) and the other preparing the order (handsome guy). Though it sounds easy, I was very apprehensive to start. I only could speak few words/phrases and I wasn't sure if I'll be able to follow what thr other person says. Anyway, it was my turn to order.

Me(very slowly with a lot of errsss and mmmm.s):  Kan ik een klein  'lungo' en een klein 'cappucino' hebben alsjeblieft?
(Can I have one small lungo and one small cappucino please)
The cute guy had a big smile on his face cos he could see I was struggling, still trying. Meanwhile, the other guy also heard me and he also joind the cute guy at the counter and both started smiling at me and Pramod.
Cute Guy: something something something...5 euro 99 cents...oops sorry....fijf euro negenennegentig cents
After I paid,
Handsome Guy: lungo with milk?...oops sorry met melk?
Me: Met melk en suiker
We picked our cups.
Me: Dank u wel...Fijn Avond
The Guys: Graag Gedaan...Fijn Avond

The moment we left, I was yelling at Pramod that I did it. I felt like I achieved something :D:D I know it sounds stupid and funny. It was a very short conversation. But you should have seen the look and smile on the faces of those guys. They just couldn't stop smiling all the time. I will never forget this interaction. My first all-dutch successful conversation :-)

The craze has gone now, but enthu still in tact. Goal is to be able to speak and converse in dutch in one year. Wish me all the best! 

No comments:

Post a Comment