Friday, November 2, 2012

Beyond Time!

25 Dec 2012, 8:00 AM
Nina got out of her bed with a heavy head. She hadn’t slept all night. Christmas has always been a day filled with sorrow and regret for her since the big fight with her mom ten years ago. The day that changed her life forever.

After a quick shower, she got dressed and packed all the necessary documents. She put on her red jacket, mom’s favourite color. She looked at her reflection in the mirror and smiled. She said to herself, ‘Mom, I look so much like you, pretty and polished’. The door bell rang bringing her back to this world. The man with a grumpy voice said, Maám, your cab is here.

When Nina mentioned terminal T , the driver raised his eyebrows, ‘are you sure, maam’. As she drove towards the airport, she imagined how it would feel to see her mom, to touch her, to talk to her, to listen to her. Nina has spent the last five years working really hard and saving every penny she earned to be able to make this journey. She has spent her nights thinking about what she would say to her mom when they meet. And the day has finally come. She was both excited and worried.


25 Dec 2002, 5:00 PM

Nina’s mother: Hey sweetie. Merry Christmas!
Nina: Merry christmas mom.
Mother: Don’t you want to know what your christmas gift is?
Nina (Rolling her eyes): Moooom….I’m not a child anymore.
Mother (with a frown): How I wish you were
Nina: OK now. What is it?
Mother: Here. I think you’ll love it.
Nina: Let me see (opens the packet)….aaah jacket…thanks.
Mother: Aren’t you gonna try it on?
Nina: err..not today, I’m running late. Arush will be here any moment to pick me. How do I look?
Mother: you are going out now…not staying for dinner?
Nina: I’ve made plans with Arush.
Mother: sweetie, are you sure about Arush….I don’t have a good feeling about him
Nina: Moooom…I told you I’m not a child anymore…I can take my own decisions…stop worrying about me….
Mother: he doesn’t love you nina….you are his trophy….he is just a proud man with the prettiest girlfriend in his group…
Nina: Just because dad left you, doesn’t mean every other guy is an evil man with an hidden agenda to hurt his girl.…
Mother: but Nina…
Nina: you always think I’m wrong….everything I say….everything I do…. Mother: no sweetie…I just want you to be happy….
Nina: I don’t want to talk to you anymore…stop meddling with my life….I hate you
25 Dec 2012, 10:00 AM

“We’ve reached terminal T. It’s 1500”.

Nina entered the terminal and walked towards the ticketing section. She tore the coupon from the machine. It said, ‘Number 160. Wait time of 30 minutes’. She took a seat in the waiting area.

‘I’m sorry mom. I’m sorry for being a rude, adamant, ungrateful, selfish daughter. You were right about Arush. He doesn’t love me. He never did. I wish I had listened to you. I didn’t have to learn it the hard way. I’m sorry mom and I love you’

The display flashed and beeped “Number 160 please”
A smartly dressed lady behind the counter gave a pleasant smile.

Lady: Good morning maám…how may I help you?
Nina: I would like to buy a ticket for one.
Lady: Sure. Ticket to?
Nina: 2002
Lady: OK, date and time of arrival and departure please
Nina: 25 Dec 5:00 PM till 7:00 PM
Lady: Let me check. Yes possible. I will have to ask you some questions
Nina: Sure
Lady: Reason for travel
Nina: I want to meet my mother
Lady: OK, is your mother with you
Nina: No, she is dead
Lady: I’m sorry. Date and cause of death?
Nina: 25 Dec, 2002. She was one of the victims of the church attack by the local rebel group.
Lady: I am obligated to warn you that you will not be authorized or allowed to make any changes in the past that would propogate an impact or change in the consequences.
Nina: Yes. I am aware
Lady: Where would you like to land on your return.
Nina: My apartment and the address is in my passport.
Lady: Have a pleasant trip. This way ma’am
Nina: Thank you!

25 Dec 2002, 5:00 PM

Nina’s mother: Hey sweetie. Merry Christmas!
Nina: Merry christmas mom.
Mother: Don’t you want to know what your christmas gift is?
Nina (Rolling her eyes): Moooom….I’m not a child anymore.
Mother (with a frown): How I wish you were
Nina: OK now. What is it?
Mother: Here. I think you’ll love it.
Nina: Let me see (opens the packet)….aaah jacket…thanks.
Mother: Aren’t you gonna try it on?
Nina: errrr ok…wow it looks lovely…I always wanted a red jacket.....thanks mom….Arush will be here any moment to pick me.
Mother: you are going out now…not staying for dinner?
Nina: I’ve made plans with Arush.
Mother: sweetie, are you sure about Arush….I don’t have a good feeling about him
Nina: Moooom…I told you I’m not a child anymore…
Mother: he doesn’t love you nina….you are his trophy….he is just a proud man with the prettiest girlfriend in his group…
Nina: trust me mom…I know what I’m doing…. I love spending time with him….he makes me feel like a princess….
Mother: but Nina…
Nina: I know you love me mom and you want me to be happy…but please let me make my choices….
Mother: ok sweetie….but always remember that I love you and I will be there for you. No matter what….have a nice time…..and take care
Nina: I love you mom….see you later…byeee

25 Dec 2012, 11:00 AM

Nina woke up in her bed. She felt at peace. For some reason, she felt extremely happy and peaceful. Maybe because it’s christmas, she thought. She screamed “Merry Christmas” and jumped out of her bed all set to celebrate the festival of love and joy

2 comments:

  1. Very simple but very touchy.....beautifully scripted....takes the reader on the same journey as the protagonist!

    ReplyDelete